Xiaomi on Sunday finally launched the much-anticipated successor to the Redmi 1S, the Redmi 2. The new entry-level smartphone will go on sale in China starting January 9 and is priced at CNY 699 (~ 112 USD). The Redmi 2's availability details outside China remain undisclosed for now, but it can be expected to be made available in India and Indonesia shortly.
The dual-SIM dual-standby Xiaomi Redmi 2 sports a 4.7-inch IPS display with HD (720x1280 ppi) resolution and 312ppi, same as the predecessor Redmi 1S. The smartphone will be layered with company's own MIUI 6 skin over Android 4.4 KitKat.
The Xiaomi Redmi 2 runs on a 64-bit 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 processor (Cortex A53) coupled with 1GB of RAM and Adreno 306 GPU. As for the camera, the handset includes the same 8-megapixel rear camera along with a 2-megapxiel front-facing camera, which is a slight bump from 1.6-megapixel seen on the original Redmi 1S.
The Xiaomi Redmi 2 houses 8GB of inbuilt storage, which can be expanded via microSD card (up to 32GB). The budget smartphone also features regular connectivity options including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS besides 4G LTE (TDD/FDD) network support.
This phone uses Qualcomm's Snapdragon 410 which means, the processor is 64-bit compatible and also supports Category 4 LTE.
Available in five colour variants - Yellow, Pink, Green, White, and Black, the Xiaomi Redmi 2 is backed by a 2200mAh battery, again a bump from Redmi 1S' 2000mAh battery. The device weighs 133 grams and is 0.5mm thinner than its predecessor at 9.4mm.
- 4.7" screen size, IPS display, 1280x720 resolutiton, 312 PPI
- 1.2 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 64-bit processor
- Dual-SIM with 2 card-slots, standing by concurrently
- 1GB RAM, 8GB flash memory, expandable micro sd card slot of upto 32GB,
- Cortex A53 structure, 1.5 times faster than A7
- Adreno 306 GPU
- 4G LTE/3G, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS and 3.5mm headset audio jack,
- Dual-SIM 4G LTE (TDD/ FDD), connection speed up to 150 Mbps
- 2200 mAh Samsung Lithium polymer battery
- 8 mega pixel rear camera, 2 mega pixel facing camera
- 133 grams, 9.4 mm thick
- 5 colors for back cover
- MIUI 6